Another quick, healthy meal the whole family can get behind: taco salad! Instead of buying pre-made taco seasoning that may be loaded with franken-food ingredients and artificial colorings (mmm maltodextrin my favorite), just make your own! Not only will you know exactly what you’re putting into your body (and your loved ones) you can also save money in the long run. Think about it…pay upwards of $1 for a single packet of the pre-made stuff OR invest a few dollars worth of several individual spices that you’ll get multiple meals out of. Looking for the convenience factor? Just make a larger batch (double or triple the recipe) so you always have some on hand!
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (plus a few shakes of cayenne if you like it extra spicy)
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
Shake it all up in a plastic container…just don’t forget the lid people…
How to use? I sprinkled roughly half of this mix over a 1 1/4 lb package of extra lean ground turkey breast that I had browning up in a nonstick pan…
…added about a 1/2 cup of water, turned the heat to low, and let it simmer covered for 5-10 minutes until the liquid absorbed…
…and then served with an assortment of goodies for a tasty taco salad. Toppings to try:
- spinach, romaine, or other green leafies
- chopped veggies (raw or cooked) like bell peppers, onion, celery, etc.
- fresh tomatoes and/or salsa
- nonfat Greek yogurt (as a sub for sour cream)
- avocado and/or guacamole
- black beans
- brown rice or quinoa to make it more like a burrito bowl (homemade Chipotle anyone?)
Nom nom nom….