Clean Spicy Tuna Cakes
Looking for a clean source of protein that won’t blow your grocery budget? You probably already stock one as a pantry staple: canned tuna. I know, it’s not the most exciting food in the world, but with a little creativity you can take your tuna to another level (without the mayo usually used in tuna salad). With roughly 30 grams of protein per four-ounce serving, canned tuna is one the best bargains for a clean eater.
Ingredients (4 patties):
- 2 (5 0z) cans water-packed tuna, drained
- 1 Tbsp (1 oz) spicy brown mustard
- 1 Tbsp (1 oz) hot sauce
- spices of choice (I used several shakes of garlic powder, chili powder, smoked paprika, and plenty of cayenne)
- 2 Tbsp oat flour (I ground rolled oats in a food processor, but you could use quick oats)
- 3 Tbsp liquid egg whites (or one whole egg white)
- 3 oz broccoli, finely chopped (you could use any combination of veggies: celery, onion, bell peppers, etc.)
- cooking spray
Ok, these instructions couldn’t be any easier…ready for it… Mix. Divide. Cook. Serve.
Seriously? You need me to elaborate?
MIX all ingredients.
DIVIDE evenly into fourths and shape into patties.
COOK in a skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
I placed mine atop a bed of baby spinach and topped it all off with avocado. You could add any of your favorite toppings: salsa, Greek yogurt, guacamole…or if you’re anything like me, extra hot sauce 🙂
Idiot proof, easy on the wallet, easy on the waistline. What more could you ask for?